[lbo-talk] The joke is on the racists, says relaxed Borat

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 17 06:40:05 PST 2006

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/17/nborat17.xmlThe joke is on the racists, says relaxed BoratBy Catherine Elsworth in New York Last Updated: 2:22am GMT 17/11/2006Sacha Baron Cohen has stepped out of character to answer critics of hisalter ego, Borat, explaining that the comic creation should not betaken literally but that it "works as a tool" for exposing prejudiceand racism.The 35-year-old British actor, who has played the lewd and dim-wittedKazakh journalist throughout all the publicity for the hit film,defended his comedy against the complaints and lawsuits it hasgenerated. Borat Sacha Baron Cohen as Borat: Kazakhs' bete noireThe comedian said the target of the film was not Kazakhstan, which hastalked of suing him over his portrayal of the country, but those whobelieved such a place could exist.In the spoof documentary, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for MakeBenefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, the fake reporter utters sexist,racist and anti-Semitic comments as he crosses the States, encouragingthose he encounters to be similarly politically incorrect.The film has become an unexpected hit, topping the box office on bothsides of the Atlantic while attracting both complaints and lawsuitsfrom Borat's unwitting subjects, who say they were duped into makingthe gaffes.Cohen, a Cambridge graduate and devout Jew, told Rolling Stonemagazine: "Borat essentially works as a tool. By himself beinganti-Semitic, he lets people lower their guard and expose their ownprejudice, whether it's anti-Semitism or an acceptance ofanti-Semitism." advertisement Click to learn more...He added: "The joke is not on Kazakhstan. I think the joke is on peoplewho can believe that the Kazakhstan that I describe can exist - whobelieve that there's a country where homosexuals wear blue hats and thewomen live in cages and they drink fermented horse urine and the age ofconsent has been raised to nine years old."Cohen said he was shocked when he learned the Kazakh government wasconsidering suing him and was taking out a full-page advert promotingthe country in the New York Times."I've been in a bizarre situation, where a country has declared me asits number one enemy," he said. "It's inherently a comic situation."He also said he would find it hard to put himself and others in suchembarrassing situations if he were not in character.But he refused to discuss how he got people to appear on camera or takeBorat's preposterous questions seriously.Revealing his tactics, he said, would be "a disaster, terrible forme".