[lbo-talk] Hoyer beats Murtha...

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 08:45:30 PST 2006

On 11/17/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> > Do we care?
> No.
> Should we?
> No.
>
> Carrol

This absolutist, sectarian stand would see no difference between George McGovern and John Stennis. Or recognize the existence back then of anti-war Republicans like Mark Hatfield. Radical left Jesuit Blase Bonpane in L.A., with personal experience in Guatemala in the 60's, has said that Hatfield was one of the Senators who would always open his doors on the Vietnam war and later during the debates over Contra aid.

http://hnn.us/articles/31400.html >...Although they have been hesitant to define their plan for Iraq, some Democrats have hinted at a drastic reduction in funds. When asked in a recent interview how a Democratic Congress could stop the war, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), who is set to chair the Ways and Means Committee should the Democrats win the majority, precociously answered, "You've got to be able to pay for the war, don't you?" Fellow member of the Out of Iraq caucus, Lynn Woolsey (D-CA) has stated that "Personally I wouldn't spend another dime on the war," and notes that Congress helped force an end to the Vietnam War by refusing to pay for it. 1

http://kucinich.us/

Kucinich Calls for Cutting Off Iraq War Funds

"That's the only way we're going to end this war."

Nov 15, 2006

Congressman Kucinich called Wednesday for cutting off funding of the Iraq war, as the surest way out of Iraq. His statements were made in an interview by Democracy Now!'s Amy Goodman.

"I want to say that there's one solution here, and it's not to engage in a debate with the President, who has taken us down a path of disaster in Iraq, but it's for Congress to assume the full power that it has under the Constitution to cut off funds. We don't need to keep indulging in this debate about what to do, because as long as we keep temporizing, the situation gets worse in Iraq.

"We have to determine that the time has come to cut off funds. There's enough money in the pipeline to achieve the orderly withdrawal that Senator McGovern is talking about. But cut off funds, we must. That's the ultimate power of the Congress, the power of the purse. That's how we'll end this war, and that's the only way we're going to end this war.

-- Michael Pugliese