[lbo-talk] Uncle Miltie, he dead

bitch bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Nov 17 09:43:09 PST 2006

First, welcome back Carrol! Hope all went well yesterday. (And also: Welcome back Matt Forrester! YAY! Maybe you haven't been gone, so apologies if I've missed your posts to the list)

Was there any connection between Friedman and Leo Strauss? I have some vague recollection that it was mentioned here. Perhaps by Chuck Grimes?

I remember my first introduction to Friedman's thought. i hadn't been able to go to college right away, so I saved up money and took a course part time a couple of years after high school. I took an economics course b/c I'd loved my economics course in HS --which had been team taught by two women, one liberal/one conservative. Very cool class coz they'd hold debates. It was a hick school, but a good hick school.

Praise the dead guy on a stick, the college instructor assigned some book which included three perspectives: neo-classical, keynesian, and the 'radical' view. phew. I had been given economics training in H.S. as a fundamentally political endeavor -- that's how the two women who taught the class saw it, strangely enough given that econ tends to be taught in a very depoliticized way.