[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 19 09:03:52 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Can someone explain the strategic rationale behind this?
> >
> Nihilism? Sectarianism? Making Iraq ungovernable? I don't get it.

Probably the puzzle is generated by the direct article in your subject line, "THE Iraqi Resistance." It doesn't exist. Hence in addition to organized groups with a strategy that can be labeled or which can exihibit sectarianism, you have mere chaos. Perhaps the movie "Gangs of New York" would be a good gloss, or many of the descriptions of the slums of the great cities during the period of early industrialization. So quite probably nobody gets it, including the particular bomber himself.

Get the u.s. troops out and a reasonably disciplined civil war or series of civil wars might eventually lead back to some sort of organized social order.

Carrol