[lbo-talk] "you and I, are indirectly responsible"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 12:02:28 PST 2006

On 11/19/06, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Yoshie, this one is a bridge too far for me.
>
> "I do know that we, including you and I, are indirectly responsible for
> the deaths of the poor Shi'ite workers in the story, the
> responsibility that you refuse to acknowledge."
>
> I tend to think that the people who did it, did it. Yours and my respective
> governments did something else - overthrowing Saddam's regime. That did
> cause instability. Me, and I know not for want of trying, you, failed to
> convince people to throw our warmongering governments out. But that
> chain of
> reasoning still doesn't make me responsible for the bombing.

But for the overthrow of Saddam Hussein's government, and instability the overthrow caused, it is unlikely that Iraqis suffer from daily terrorism today, and for years to come, including the particular case that Doug posted here. Whilst our responsibility for that is much smaller than that of the power elite of the US, UK, and other governments that invaded Iraq, or the terrorists who actually committed the bombing in question, it is larger than that of citizens of countries whose governments have refused to take part in the Iraq War. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>