[lbo-talk] Uncle Miltie, he dead

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 19 12:47:07 PST 2006

Miles Jackson wrote:

> I realize that this is a rarified concern of the disappointingly small
> proportion of workers in the U. S. who have some income above and
> beyond what they need to subsist, but I've been grappling with the
> moral ramifications of the ownership of capital. Granted, my slice of
> corporate ownership of Microsoft, Coca-Cola, et al. in my retirement
> account is almost imperceptible, and I'm planning to put the money to
> good use, but I'm still ambivalent about this. How do other people
> negotiate this moral dilemma?

I don't see it as a moral dilemma. It does not disrupt worker solidarity, nor does it constitute a concrete failure to build worker solidarity in any particular instance. How could it be a moral question then? Consumption and private finance have no moral implications in the absence of organized boycotts, strikes, etc. which bear on them.

Carrol