[lbo-talk] "you and I, are indirectly responsible"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 13:21:07 PST 2006

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
>
> > On 11/19/06, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> >> After Christian Parenti met a bunch of them, he said many were
> >> nihilists with no political program. Others said they'd rather
> >> destroy their country than let the U.S. have it; I wonder how many
> >> Iraqis would share that POV. When I first quoted him saying these
> >> things, Yoshie & Co. disagreed strongly, but it sure seems like
> >> Christian was onto something.
> >
> > Does anyone have a link to this perspective?
>
> I can't remember whether he said this on my radio show, or just
> personally.
>
> In any case, try this: <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/
> Radio_1.html#041111>.
>
> Doug

You claim that I disagreed strongly with a notion that you attribute to Christian Parenti.

I looked into the LBO archive, searching for "parenti and nihilist," "parenti and nihilists," and "parenti and nihilism": <http://search.lbo-talk.org/search/swish.cgi?query=parenti+nihilist&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&sort=unixdate> <http://search.lbo-talk.org/search/swish.cgi?query=parenti+nihilists&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&sort=unixdate> <http://search.lbo-talk.org/search/swish.cgi?query=parenti+nihilism&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&sort=unixdate>,

There is no evidence of me saying anything about "nihilists" in Iraq, whatever the term means.

In any case, it's not our job to write up a political program for Iraq. That's the Iraqis' job. Some of the Iraqis, like Moktada al-Sadr, have political programs. When the Americans leave, they might possibly succeed in winning over other Iraqis, establishing a new government, and defeating terrorists, though that's a long shot and probably it's impossible for many years to come. We should concentrate on our job: making the US government withdraw from Iraq and preventing it from sanctioning or bombing or otherwise doing harm to any other country than it already has. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>