[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 07:44:13 PST 2006

On 11/19/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> > I do know that we, including you and I, are indirectly responsible for
> > the deaths of the poor Shi'ite workers in the story, the
> > responsibility that you refuse to acknowledge.
>
> This tack, Yoshie, I think is incorrect. Responsibility implies power,
> and the power to make a difference has not been ours.

But American leftists have no problem holding everyone else -- the White House, Congress, the governments of the Coalition of the Willing, Sunni Iraqi guerrillas, Shi'i militias, international jihadists, the governments of Iraq's neighboring countries, etc. -- responsible for what they did and what they didn't do, leading to the catastrophe. It looks to me that it's a case of avoiding _only_ our own responsibility, or, if you don't like the word responsibility, denying where we stand in the causal relations that have led up to the present, as if we had nothing to do with it. IMHO, people will never trust those -- especially leftists! -- who fail to take responsibility. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>