[lbo-talk] Whom to Blame? Try the Iraqis (was "you and I, are indirectly responsible")

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 07:57:30 PST 2006

On 11/19/06, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Does anyone have a link to this perspective?
> >
> > In any case, try this: <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/
> > Radio_1.html#041111>.
>
> Thanks, Doug. Parenti starts discussing that part of resistance at
> 43:00, and at 46:00 mentions nihilism.
>
> Previously, the word "nihilism" conjured up images in my mind of
> beret-wearing serial killers. But Parenti explained it as a relative
> lack of political vision; repelling the invaders without concern for
> rebuilding society or costs to others. Parenti also cited Saddam's
> release of prisoners from Abu Gharaib, some of whom were seriously
> psychopathic.

As the US occupation of Iraq is now undeniably in a quagmire, no longer denied even by the Right, a blame game has begun. Whom do Americans blame for the quagmire? Themselves? No! It's the Iraqis' fault! Really.

Charles Krauthammer / Syndicated columnist Whom to blame? Try the Iraqis

"A republic, if you can keep it."

— Benjamin Franklin, upon leaving the Constitutional Convention, in answer to "What have we got?"

WASHINGTON — We have given the Iraqis a republic and they do not appear able to keep it.

Americans flatter themselves that they are the root of all planetary evil. Nukes in North Korea? Poverty in Bolivia? Sectarian violence in Iraq? Breasts are beaten and fingers pointed as we try to somehow locate the root cause in America.

Our discourse on Iraq has followed the same pattern. Where did we go wrong? Too few troops? Too arrogant an occupation? Or too soft? Take your pick.

I have my own theories. In retrospect, I think we made several serious mistakes — not shooting looters, not installing an Iraqi exile government right away, and not taking out Moqtada al-Sadr and his Mahdi Army in its infancy in 2004 — that greatly compromised the occupation. Nonetheless, the root problem lies with Iraqis and their political culture.</blockquote> -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>