[lbo-talk] Whom to Blame? Try the Iraqis (was "you and I, are indirectly responsible")

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:32:39 PST 2006

>From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <critical.montages at gmail.com>
>
>Charles Krauthammer / Syndicated columnist
>Whom to blame? Try the Iraqis
>
>... the root problem lies with Iraqis and their
>political culture.

Not only is that a moral obscenity, it is also legal nonsense. None of Iraq's horrors would have happened had the US not invaded that country, which (to my lay perspective) automatically triggers the "eggshell skull" rule of liability, viz.:

"The eggshell skull rule (or thin-skull rule) is a legal doctrine used in both tort law and criminal law that holds an individual liable for all consequences resulting from their activities leading to an injury to another person, even if the victim suffers unusual damages due to a pre-existing vulnerability or medical condition. The term implies that if a person had a skull as delicate as the shell of an egg, and a tortfeasor or assailant who did not know of that condition were to tap that person on the head, causing the skull to break, the responsible party would be held liable for all damages resulting from the wrongful contact, even though they were not foreseeable."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggshell_skull>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version. Join now. http://ideas.live.com