[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 20 11:24:28 PST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 1:11 PM, ravi wrote:

> While I have nothing to say about your (DH) internal mental states, I
> think Yoshie is spot on about responsibility and the collective _us_
> avoiding, ignoring, denying or downplaying it.

I opposed the invasion of Iraq. I marched against it, wrote against it, talked against it. The same can be said for almost everyone on this list. How the fuck am I responsible for it? By continuing to live in the USA? It's the worst sort of activistism that holds that if only we'd had one more demo, one more petition, one more sign, one more slogan the war could have been stopped. (Someone actually didn't come to our wedding because he had to give an antiwar speech. Well he missed a nice lunch and the war happened anyway.) Americans who supported the war deserve some blame, but I'm not taking any, and you shouldn't either, unless it makes you feel more important.

Doug