[lbo-talk] Re: Rangel is an Idiot

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Mon Nov 20 11:29:27 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Do we know what Rangel's motives are? Is he really serious, or is he
> just trying to smoke out the inevitable objections to make a
> political point?
>
> Doug

I think that he is simply trying to point out that Republicans are gung-ho for war in Afghanistan and Iraq but averse to the notion that a fair draft might conscript their young constituents.

He has introduced similar bills before, but only after the war fever began-- HR 2723 (109th Congress, 2005) and HR 163 (108th Congress, 2003). Under the Republican speaker, these bills died a quick death on the suspension calendar, if memory serves. He might get a debate in this Congress, and I suspect that is what he wants.

--tim francis-wright