[lbo-talk] Re: Rangel Is An Idiot

Paul Papadeas papadeas13 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 10:09:47 PST 2006

Ok. Let's give Rangel the benefit of the doubt. What is the achilles heel of the war machine?

It is the draft - especially drafting middle class kids (forget upper class as they will have the connections and money to evade).

Instituting something like this could also mean pushing in an agitprop way a moratorium on war. Maybe my analysis is far reacing - but if Rangel really wants to make a point - he knows another draft will inevitably foster a serious dialogue about war and our foreign policy. It may even usher in another 68'er type revolution in this country - especially against corporate power as I'm sure this dialogue will connect the dots between those making the wars and companies who profit from it.

It's a risky endeavor, but might be enough to wake us up.

On the other hand - he could be just another right wing Democrat who believes in American hegemony and the neo-liberal order. if that is the case - then we should fight him tooth and nail.

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

Do we know what Rangel's motives are? Is he really serious, or is he just trying to smoke out the inevitable objections to make a political point?