[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 12:54:01 PST 2006

On 11/20/06, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote:
> >liberals and leftists (including yourself) who took too long to
> >demand immediate US withdrawal won't take any
> >responsibility
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that making a "demand" would have made a
> bit of difference? Where does one go with such a demand?

For too long, too many liberals and leftists said that immediate US withdrawal would make things worse for the Iraqis, so we should stay and try to fix Iraq; going a step further, some of them even condemned those who demanded immediate US withdrawal. What if American liberals and leftists had been all on the same page, all demanding immediate US withdrawal and organizing the kind of massive protests (demos, strikes, occupations, civil disobedience, riots, etc. for a month or so) that led to the revocation of the CPE in France? We might have still failed to move the White House, but we would never know that since too many liberals and leftists were committed to US forces staying in Iraq for too long and therefore we couldn't even try to organize such protests. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>