[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 20 13:50:54 PST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> Yoshie wrote:
>
>> Colonialists and imperialists have employed native forces to keep
>> natives under control throughout history
>
> duh

Nice alternation of the obvious and the provocative she's got going, don't you think?

>> Whether resisters expand their targets from native soldiers.....to
>> native civilians..... who work for them and how much depend on the
>> political programs of the resisters
>
> Which is why I asked what exactly it means to say "the French
> resistance killed far more French citizens than it killed Germans."
>
> Come to think of it "What are the political programs of the
> resisters?" was what Doug was asking in the post that started this
> thread.

I might not like their political program, but it's perfectly legitimate for a resistance to attack collaborators. I don't think a lot of the forces that many are calling the Iraqi resistance are doing that. Blowing up helpless civilians doesn't qualify.

I know Carrol hates it when I ask questions - for him, all the issues were settled at least 40 years ago, and questions are either inconvenient or impertinent. But I was both horrified and mystified by blowing up 22 jobseekers and wondered what the fucking point of it was. Michael Pollak had a good answer; from the Cox-Furuhashi axis we've gotten nothing but 'tude.

Doug