[lbo-talk] Juan Cole on Responsibility (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 14:37:07 PST 2006

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 5:08 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Well, we then must ask: who gave a chance to those who blow up
> > helpless civilians? We, among others, have. Juan Cole is decent
> > enough to acknowledge that responsibility.
>
> Eh? Where did Cole acknowledge his own deep and crushing personal
> responsibility?

If these mad dogs are not our responsibility then whose responsibility are they? Perhaps it's the fault of the French? <http://www.juancole.com/2006/04/cost-of-war-heading-toward-one.html></blockquote>

I'd say that America is more a liberal plutocracy than a liberal democracy, but, still, it's not a dictatorship, so we had better assume our shares of responsibility. Our refusal to assume them only contribute to the "it's not our fault" meme, which goes hand in hand with the racist "it's the Iraqis' fault" meme, dominant in American culture. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>