[lbo-talk] Juan Cole on Responsibility (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 20 15:06:59 PST 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 5:58 PM, mike larkin wrote:

> I'd say that America is more a liberal plutocracy than a liberal
> democracy, but, still, it's not a dictatorship, so we had better
> assume our shares of responsibility. Our refusal to assume them only
> contribute to the "it's not our fault" meme, which goes hand in hand
> with the racist "it's the Iraqis' fault" meme, dominant in American
> culture.
> --
> Yoshie
>

> He's wrong and you're wrong. It's not my fault. My hands are clean.

Yoshie's politics have changed a lot in the decade I've known her, but one thing hasn't - she always has to position herself as more militant and/or more righteous than thou, a model for all of us to try (vainly) to emulate. Evidently she doesn't find it exhausting to radiate certainty and paragon-ness 24/7.

Doug