[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky on Responsibility

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Nov 20 21:10:35 PST 2006

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7333556703536657423&q=chomsky&hl=en

My own rough transcript:

We are all aware that right at this moment bodies are being torn to shreds by infernal weapons -- unknown number of people who have already been driven to the edge of survival by decades of murderous sanctions ... that may be facing starvation and slow death. Under these circumstances it is not easy to step back and ask why all this is happening, where it is likely to go and what we can do to shape the future, but that's what I want to try to do. About the last question -- what we can do to shape the future -- the answer is straightforward. Quite a lot. In fact there is noone anywhere else who can do as much as we can. We are uniquely privileged. We have unusual freedom that's not a gift from on high; its a legacy that was won by centuries of constant dedicated struggle, and that's really the answer to what we can do. Pay attention to the legacy and carry it forward. Privilege and advantages confer responsibilities. That should be a truism. What comes next is hard though. Personal choices. One choice is to face the responsibility. Not easy, though a lot easier than it is in other countries, other places not as privileged as we are. The other choice is to shirk the responsibility and hand the future over to forces that we can be sure are not benign. Many people in world are desperately hoping that we will make the first choice: face the responsibility; and they view with dread the consequences if we do not; if we do not act to control what they see as a juggernaut that they regard as the greatest threat to peace in the world and these days threat to peace means literally threat to survival.

<...>

--ravi

P.S: w.r.t on-going debate, there are some differences between responsibility as Chomsky is talking about here and responsibility as used by me, but I think there are much more significant similarities.