[lbo-talk] They call it education...

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Nov 21 05:13:36 PST 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 22:46, John Thornton wrote:

> I have attended both a public and private middle
> school and high school and the private school was
> in general a much better learning environment.

I may be venturing on a personal question here, but was this a recent experience? In the last fifteen years or so, private schools, as far as my experience goes, have felt even more strongly than the public ones the impact of the pressure-cooker or feed-lot mentality -- what I call the No Child Left Alone movement.

Private schools are still "better learning environments" in the sense that they have better facilities and smaller classes and probably fewer handguns in backpacks. But the needles of the private school penal engine, clean and shiny though they are, drive even deeper and more relentlessly into the flesh of their clientele.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org