[lbo-talk] They call it education...

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Nov 21 05:24:04 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 00:50, joanna wrote:
> I'm not arguing; but I wonder if you could expand on how the private
> system is worse? For one thing, the private system embraces everything
> from evangelical/catholic schools to Andover. That's quite a wide range
> of systems....

True. I was thinking of the school milieu where I have some experience: what you might call the elite private-school world. I don't have any direct experience of parochial schools, though many working-class parents strongly prefer them over public schools, and not necessarily because they're Catholic. What little I do know suggests that parochial schools may actually be an improvement on the public ones -- less bureaucratic, less rigid, more focused on core competence, more reasonable in the article of homework, perhaps even generally more humane.

About 'evangelical' schools I know nothing at all.

Some years ago I wrote an essay -- it was called "Procrustes Prep," I think -- about the elite private-school world. Couldn't get it published anywhere, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org