[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 21 09:59:37 PST 2006

> Several people have pointed out that there is no single Iraqi
> resistance. True enough, but isn't that part of the problem? Most of
> the militias seem more interested in fighting each other than the
> Americans, and some of the militias are even fighting among
> themselves. How can you fight an anti-colonial war with absolutely no
> unifying themes or ideologies? You can't say Islamism is, because
> Islamists are fighting Islamists.
> Doug

Yes, and black on black violence in SA was quite high from the mid to early 1990s. It involved both intercene violence and ideologically motivated violence. What was the context of that violence? Did resistance have to be coherent ideologically and target wise? Was apartheid not the ultimate cause of that violence? This is not to say that the internal struggle cost SA a whole generation but that is what it took. (Yah Yah sanctions and all that jazz: they would never have happened if the external ANC could not have exploited the violent images in the international media).

I just really am having trouble understanding your point Doug. The US was and is the prime mover in Iraq. They fked shit up and now fked up shit is happening even among and between those resisting the occupation. It just seems so obvious that of course some of the violence stems from intercene struggles over who is likely to inherit the state (what is left of it) after the US leaves. But that is really a different issue. There would be no intercene violence of this kind but for the Invasion. So what gives with your fixation on what can only be considered from an outside POV to be "absurd" violence? The question is what made it possible. And the answer to that question leads you to culpability no? I have to say you are sounding like a bit of an ex Rhodesian or expat out of the Indian colonial office (no offence intended it is just that the form of the argument has a pedigree).

Travis