[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 10:04:15 PST 2006

> Several people have pointed out that there is no single Iraqi
> resistance. True enough, but isn't that part of the problem? Most of
> the militias seem more interested in fighting each other than the
> Americans, and some of the militias are even fighting among
> themselves. How can you fight an anti-colonial war with absolutely no
> unifying themes or ideologies? You can't say Islamism is, because
> Islamists are fighting Islamists. Life after Communism is a woefully
> impoverished thing.
>
> Doug

Communist led NLF's had far more "unity in action" than these reactionary Islamists (just read a fascinating interview w/a Syrian Marxist critic of Edward Said, Sadik Al-Azm in the Arab Studies Quarterly, Summer97, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p113, 14p, who makes this point, among many others) but, then I recalled the internal feuding inside the FMLN that led to the killing on Roque Dalton and Mélida Anaya Monte, 2nd in command of the FMLN by Cayetano Carpio, 1st in command.

-- Michael Pugliese