[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 21 12:50:52 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 3:14 PM, www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

> The US has pursued sectarianism in order to create a state with weak
> capacity and legitimacy, (but with a strong counterinsurgency stance),

I don't see how that's in the US interest right now (and I don't get the "divide and rule" claim - there's plenty of division, but not much ruling). Washington badly needs an effective puppet regime, not one in which ministers are shot and their underlings kidnapped out of their offices. The present state of the country is a severe political problem for the US at home and abroad. And a weak Iraq where terrorists can meet and practice seems like a global headache to me. You may be giving the Bush admin too much credit; to me, it looks like they were ignorant and arrogant and fucked up mightily.

Doug