[lbo-talk] Why We Must Back 21st-Century Islamists against 7th-Century Islamists (was Qaeda at Work)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:08:26 PST 2006

Without getting onto a side in this battle, I have to ask the question, how are 21st century islamists battling 21st century islamists? ... some sort of rift in time a la Star Trek: Next Generation? (a series of old fashioned anthropology, if I've ever seen one). I thought we were done with this absence of coevalness after Asad, Fabian, et al in the seventies and eighties pointed out that this logic was crucial to colonialism. (The we feel very guilty moment of anthro that we seem to be still in.) As for the argument itself, I think that we might need to return to the work of Fanon to answer some of these questions.....

Robert Wood