[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 21 15:18:35 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 6:01 PM, www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

> So, to be clear, they deliberately refused to hear from those who
> told them
> not to do what they were planning, because it was obvious what
> would happen.
> Now why would they have done this?

Because they really believed their own propaganda. Because they were a small, self-reinforcing circle of know-it-alls. They didn't listen to people who knew anything because they thought it was going to be a "cakewalk." Remember? I didn't think this was controversial, but evidently it is to some.

> Then why did they drive a huge increase in state investment in the
> US economy?

Huh? Federal nonmilitary spending is 2.3% of GDP, unchanged since the mid/late 1990s, and below what it was when Daddy Bush left office (2.5% - Clinton took it down to 2.1% in 1997, and it rose to 2.2% as he was heading for the exit).

> Why the military Keynesianism?

They want to build a lot of weapons, and threaten and kill people who get in their way. That's obvious. They haven't been very good at winning wars though, have they?

> I don't doubt that the Bush administration is capable of all manner
> of fecklessness
> and stupidity, but they know their interests. And so far, because
> people keep
> underestimating them, they keep getting away with it: as will the
> Dems.

You certainly have an original view of US politics. Most people here think the Bush admin is crippled, and will not be able to accomplish anything on their agenda for the next two years. We'll see who's right.

Doug