[lbo-talk] Suburban alienation?

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Nov 22 08:33:53 PST 2006

James Heartfield wrote:
> "Burbs not so bad after all
>
> "Shannon Proudfoot, CanWest News Service
> Published: Saturday, November 11, 2006
>
> "A new study says that people who live in sprawling suburban areas have
> more friends, better community involvement and more frequent contact
> with their neighbours than urbanites who are wedged in side-by-side. ...

This hold true for me, from my personal experience. I'm a shy person who doesn't easily talk to strangers. I talk to more neighbors where I currently live than I did in 9 years of living in the Washington, DC area. Looking back at all of those years living in apartments, I rarely talked to neighbors. When I moved to Arlington I talked to more people, but that was only because I was part of my complex's tenant's association.

Maybe it's not so much an urban-suburban split as it is a regional phenomenon. People are just friendlier to each other in the Midwest. I was thinking yesterday about my time in Washington, DC and how lonely I felt in that densely populated city.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/