[lbo-talk] Re: Altman is Dead

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 14:54:25 PST 2006

On 11/21/06, BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> When the talent is as large as Robert Altman's, it is hard to
> ignore it without looking foolish.
> NASHVILLE
> CALIFORNIA SPLIT
> 3 WOMEN
> SHORT CUTS
> A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION (which now stands as one of
> the great swansongs in movie history)
> THE PLAYER
> MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER
> THIEVES LIKE US
> M*A*S*H
> GOSFORD PARK
> TANNER '88
> THE LONG GOODBYE
> SECRET HONOR
> And I have listed just those works which are beyond dispute.
> There is then the rest of his film work which though not as
> consistenttly perfect as the above, contain moments of grace
> rare in cinema.
> Brian Dauth
> Queer Buddhist Resister

my favorite altman moment is actually a personal one, i had gone to see what many/most consider his worst film, _quintet_, about a future ice age, quintet is a survival game that people play, paul newman plays the principal character,,,

film ended, house lights came on, i looked around and there was one other person in the theatre, we looked at each other and he said: 'no more altman mon'...

fwiw: i rather liked _quintet_, calling it convoluted may be an understatement, then again, it may be too generous...in any event, the flip side of its persistently depressing message is that there is more to life than *mere* survival (at least that's my take and i'm sticking to it)...

and if i'm incorrect about the above, shot in snow and ice (including icy interior shots in which you still see the actors' breath) the film succeeds marvelously in making you feel physically cold (literally so)... mh