[lbo-talk] Re: Altman is Dead

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 22 18:07:30 PST 2006

Dear List:

Michael writes:

> i rather liked _quintet_, calling it convoluted may be an
understatement, then again, it may be too generous...

QUINTET is an underrated film in the Altman canon.

> the flip side of its persistently depressing message is
that there is more to life than *mere* survival (at least that's my take and i'm sticking to it)...

A wonderful observation that could be applied to many, many Altman films.

> shot in snow and ice (including icy interior shots in
which you still see the actors' breath) the film succeeds marvelously in making you feel physically cold (literally so)

The film was shot above the Artic Circle. One of the great talents of Altman was to to not only collapse the frame on the screen with zooms and tracking shots, but to also collapse the frame which separated the audience from the film. Viewing an Altman film is a fundamentally different experience than the one people had with the films that came before him.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister