[lbo-talk] Resistance in History (was [Fwd: video])

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 19:20:20 PST 2006

> On Nov 22, 2006, at 9:07 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > I'm still wondering what are the politics behind Doug's bit of war
> > news.
>
> What a coincidence - I'm still waiting for that detail on just whom
> the French resistance killed? Did they execute untold numbers of
> Huguenots?

The French Resistance was acting like this even _after_ the liberation:

You can imagine how they acted toward collaborators under the occupation. Let's not romanticize the past.

Moreover, let it be said that the French Resistance was not all that effective -- they couldn't liberate their country on their own. For examples of successful anti-fascist, anti-imperialist, and other movements that achieved their objectives, having defeated their political opponents who claimed to stand "on the same side" but actually attacked them more than the occupiers, you might look at China, Yugoslavia, etc.

One hopes that the Mahdi Army, et al. will also eventually grow into a national front that can defeat Qaeda types and liberate their country from the occupier. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>