[lbo-talk] Richards turns to Jackson, Sharpton for help; But anti-semitic remarks reported

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 11:40:33 PST 2006

The only thing for Richards/Kramer to do is go the Mel Gibson/Mark Foley route, blame it all on booze, and go into rehab.

There he'll confront his "inner demons," then come out like Jesus after 40 days in the desert, upon which Oprah will have him on her show again and embrace him, etc. Or the equivalent.

The most painful part for me, besides the audience laughter on Letterman while they were trying to be serious, was watching Richards on Letterman say "I'm not a racist, that's what's so insane about this!"

Okay, so you're not a racist, but you say 50 years ago "we" (white folks) would have done this or that to you (to the African-American hecklers) for misbehaving, and then even in his contorted apology on Letterman he talks about "the black people" like an alien species, etc. The Oprah "forgiveness for your sins" thing bombed for Mark Foley. Well, I guess. Foley still has his bestseller _My Friend Leonard_ and lots of money. Oprah-appearance-as-ritual-of-public-catharsis-and-forgiveness is also annoying.

-B.

Charles Brown wrote:

>> Richards just hired publicist Howard Rubenstein
>
> Wow. I guess he's got the money, from all those
Seinfeld residuals.
> That Letterman interview was painful to watch - I
had to stop halfway
> though; I've never seen anyone who looked so
destroyed.

> Doug
>
> ^^^^
> CB: Actually, I ain't mad at him. I got this feeling
that _maybe_ he was
> sort of over identifying with Black people/Gangster
rappers or something.