[lbo-talk] Richards turns to Jackson, Sharpton for help; But anti-semitic remarks reported

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 23 19:06:02 PST 2006

Chris Doss wrote:
> Good God. What did he say? Was it really that bad?
> Enough to ruin somebody for? (OK, he's rich, maybe
> he's not that ruined.)

>> Richards just hired publicist Howard Rubenstein
>> Wow. I guess he's got the money, from all those
>> Seinfeld residuals.
>> That Letterman interview was painful to watch - I
>> had to stop halfway
>> though; I've never seen anyone who looked so
>> destroyed.
>>
>> Doug

Is was that bad. It's online to view if you want to see it. It's sad and disgusting.

I saw the Letterman interview and it was painful. I think the man was surprised to find himself saying such hateful things. He felt hurt because his act was bombing and he wanted to lash out and hurt someone else who he incorrectly identified as being partly responsible for his bombing. Dennis could probably tell you more about this feeling than I could since he's done stand up.

He managed to hurt others but in doing so hurt himself much more. I think he identified himself as too hip,liberal,artistic to actually be racist and just found out how white and racist he actually is.

I'm not saying he's horribly racist but rather that he just found out he cannot act or speak as anything other than a white person. He deluded himself into thinking he could do otherwise. You cannot live in this modern culture without being somewhat racist. You can be horribly racist or incredibly mildly racist but you cannot escape the

effects of the constant stream of racism that pervades our society. It is a very different and less virulent form than 75 years ago but it is still there.

John Thornton