[lbo-talk] Re: FSB suspected in Litvinenko killing

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 23:38:55 PST 2006

On 11/25/06, Michael Givel <mgivel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Perhaps you might want to read the headline of the first story--does it say
> the say the same thing as the title of the thread (as do in one form or
> another the other stories)? I simply reposted it.
>
> So your comment is frankly a red herring and designed to redirect the fact
> that if you read the last few posts on this list that Putin and the FSB had
> nothing to do with it. However, like it or not we have several suspects in
> this situation and this is being reported all over the world.
>
> Or do you also agree that the individual who just died is simply a loser and
> Putin's government had nothing to do with it. Maybe they did and maybe they
> did not. It is rather disconcerting to be reading on this list a conclusion
> to a criminal investigtation that is just beginning, no?

The opposite of speculation against one individual isn't speculation against another. I don't want to give the impression that I care about this more than I do, but it seems clear to me that someone with the genuine principled opposition to speculation that your last sentence implies wouldn't engage in it at all - and that includes repeating others' accusations against one particular individual, and titling a thread after same. Why not just be honest and admit that your issue is that Putin wasn't included in Peter's speculation?

(I have no idea who killed Mr Litivenko, btw)