[lbo-talk] A Day When Mahdi Army Showed Its Other Side

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 27 10:51:43 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 11:38 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] A Day When Mahdi Army Showed Its Other Side

> On Nov 27, 2006, at 10:02 AM, Marvin Gandall wrote:
>
>> reactionary beliefs
>> derived from rural culture
>
> Though based in an urban slum?
>
> How do you know what Sadr's program is?
>
> Doug
=================== I haven't seen any of the material of the movement, except indirectly, but I think it's a good guess that the model the Sadrists have in mind most closely approximates the Islamic Republic of Iran. You're right to suggest, however, that popular movements which favour economic redistribution but are politically and culturally illiberal are not strictly a rural phenomenon and also find significant support among the urban poor and unemployed.

In any case, you don't think the Sadrists - any more than the followers of Khomeini and Nasrallah - are just a bunch of crazy nihilists with no idea what they would do with power, do you? And if you don't think that, then where do you think they would look for inspiration and guidance?