[lbo-talk] John Ford (was: Kael)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 27 11:58:45 PST 2006

Brian wrote:

>John Ford was loathe to discuss his work with interviewers.
>He was evasive and pooh-poohed any thought that he was
>an artist.

But why? The reason I ask is because of the compare/contrast questions that were being asked earlier in this thread about academic criticism and its relation to painting and movies. Painters were writing and thinking about their work long before we needed academic critics to tell us what they were doing. In the last 50 years visual art movements depend on criticism as part of their communication with the audience. That has never been true of movies and surely never will be. So I think there's more to this than Ford just not liking the suggestion that he was making art.