[lbo-talk] Kramnik vs Deep Fritz

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:18:07 PST 2006

On 11/27/06, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> Jerry (and others),
>
> are you following the Kramnik v Deep Fritz chess match? Am I getting it
> wrong or did Kramnik just throw away game 2 today?
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/static/chessbase/client3.swf
>
> I am looking at that Q sitting on E4 with the sort of tension you get
> when you are playing the game yourself (and are in a one move mate
> situation) and I could not believe my eyes when Kramnik seemed to ignore
> it completely...
>
> --ravi

Chess blindness!

Your are correct Ravi, either Kramnik threw the game or he threw it away.

It is hard to understand how Kramnik overlooked the mate in 1 after Fritz's 34th move. I believe 34... Kg8 could have lead to a draw. White has to move the knight - g6 is best - and then 35. Bxb2. The game looks such to me that Fritz has to force repetition through check in order to stop the march of Kramnik's Q-side pawns.

Computer's, having no eyes to interfere with the computation of positions, do not suffer from chess blindness. But even great chess players can disconnect eyes from the brain.

There is a lesson here someplace.

Jerry