[lbo-talk] John Ford

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Nov 27 13:20:43 PST 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Movies have always imperfectly fit the conception of "The Artist" rooted
>in modern individualism. They no more have a single creator than did
>medieval architecture. I haven't followed movie criticism particularly,
>but isn't the notion of the "auteur" pretty much abandoned? The concept
>of "work of art" itself (beyond its initial meaning of a thing made,
>artificial, product of craft) is disputable.
>
>Carrol

The documentary "Lost in La Mancha" about Terry Gilliam's attempt to film Don Q. is a great example of this. Film is not the product of a single artist; it's a collaborative effort, and if any of the collaborators fall down, the film falls down. --If your perfectly cast Don Quixote develops a hernia and can't ride a horse, you're not able to make the movie you wanted to make, no matter what kind of a directorial genius you are.

Miles