[lbo-talk] Afghanistan Combat Will Define NATO's Future at Summit in Riga

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 27 14:40:42 PST 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 5:18 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:

> It will just mean that the U.S. will have to
> relinquish a little bit of its power to other state
> actors.

Easy for you to say. It's very hard to imagine the US political system ever accepting such a thing gracefully.

I think I've quoted this observation from Wall Street economist Albert Wojnilower before, but it's worth quoting again: "Americans are and show every sign of remaining, in contrast with Japan, a short- term oriented, mercurial, polyglot, multiethnic, mobile and heavily armed people. Claims on such a people need to be accumulated and exercised with care."