[lbo-talk] Afghanistan Combat Will Define NATO's Future at Summit in Riga

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 15:00:54 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Easy for you to say. It's very hard to imagine the
> US political system ever accepting such a thing
> gracefully.

Do you really think there is such unity across the political spectrum? Agreed, there is broad, system-immanent unity about the fact that America is essentially a noble, good-hearted nation that deserves its place in the spotlight, but don't the Democrats squeak about how Bush has lost so much respect from the U.S.'s "allies" with his foreign policy?

I can't help but think that if Al Gore had been President instead of George W. Bush, The Bundeswehr would at this very moment be levelling Falluja in the name of the "common historical experiences, traditions, and achievements, that can help create the consciousness of a political fate that will be felt by all and formed by all."