[lbo-talk] Sex Everywhere at Columbia University

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:33:21 PST 2006

On 11/27/06, Auguste Blanqui <blanquist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Better than getting portrayed as an anti-Semitic al-Qaeda cell, I guess...
> http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/474805p-399293c.html
>

> Wild sex 101
>

> S&M clubs, nude parties, porn, X-rated romps rule at Columbia
>

> BY DOUGLAS FEIDEN
> DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
>

> Others volunteer for the bullwhip at Conversio Virium, the university-sanctioned S&M club that means "exchange of power" in Latin. It calls itself a "discussion group" that provides "education and peer support" and promotes "safe, sane and consensual play." But the club doesn't just talk.
>
> Late on the night of Nov. 13, a Daily News reporter sat in room 303 of Hamilton Hall, a venerable classroom building where Columbia students have studied Poe, Plato and Plutarch for nearly 100 years.
>
> As a female student volunteer stood facing the blackboard, and two dozen Columbians watched, a lecturer who identified himself only as Dov flogged her repeatedly with leather whips, rubber hoses - and a cat-o'-nine-tails.

But flogging and self flogging is a venerable religious practice and surely comes under the heading of "traditional values", does it not? So what's the complaint? Oh yes, the 'Young Republicans" mentioned in the article do not start looking for traditions until the post-Goldwater era.

I was hoping the article would tell me that college students were having a lot of sex but instead, except for a bragging gossip columnist, it seems that most of the activities mentioned in the articles do not lead to actual people getting together and screwing, but people observing other people doing things not quite sexual, and going home with one's sex toys and piped in porn. In other words the usual lonely life of people new to the big city with a bigger fantasy life than a sex life. The usual life of a teenager come to think of it. This is a great disappointment. If I am ever in a position to send my son or daughter to an overly expensive school shouldn't I at least expect that she will have a good time; sure I hope she reads a lot but sex in the stacks doesn't sound like a bad idea either.