[lbo-talk] A Day When Mahdi Army Showed Its Other Side

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 08:47:19 PST 2006

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> [WS:] So here we are, between the Scylla of the
> Western capitalism cum US
> interventionism (I do not think it is imperialism in
> the traditional sense
> of the word) and the Charybdis of anti-Western
> Islamic nationalism (which
> has all the telltale signs of fascism).

Woj, it's not a choice between Western capitalism and Islamic nationalism, it's a choice between being a colony or quasi-colony of the United States and Islamic nationalism.

Personally I don't care what kind of social system Israqis or whoever decide to have if it suits them and doesn't screw up the wider world. I was anti-Taliban because they were/are expansionist zealots and a menace to the region, not because of whatever social mores Pushtuns happen to espouse or not.