[lbo-talk] The Yoshie Syndrome

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 29 08:50:51 PST 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> I am stuck defending Iran against the U.S. empire.

What does that mean? I think Iran has every right to develop a bomb, which is why I couldn't sign Joanne Landy's petition. I would support - verbally, of course; I'm not about to volunteer for armed struggle - Iran's right to resist a U.S. attack. But I could never find any kind words to utter about the regime's domestic policies, which are profoundly reactionary and pretty much the absolute inversion of my utopia. What's so disturbing about Yoshie's position is that she finds every excuse she can to defend the regime's domestic policies: they don't stone women all that often, it's ok to shoot Marxists because everyone does it, etc. etc.

Doug