[lbo-talk] Iran's "Liberation Theology" (???), Re-Defeat for the Left, and Islamic Economics

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 13:07:50 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Fortunately, Yoshie is pretty much alone in this
> position, though she has been dragging the good
> name of MR through the mud in promoting it.

You keep mentioning this as if it is relevant.

Presumably, if the Monthly Review foundation had a problem with the views Yoshie is espousing, they would have said something about it by now. The fact that Yoshie is still editor probably means that there is no problem to speak of. MR certainly isn't perfect. They were major propangandists for Mao's China. I'd have to go through the Monthly Review stacks at the library to find out out when it finally dawned on them that China is pursuing an autarkic path of constructing a modern, commodity-producing society.

I don't agree with much of what Yoshie writes about Islam and Iran. So what. MRZine is wonderful. The range of material is far broader than what the magazine itself publishes. The most recent edition has an article by the *great* Victor Grossman, a living institution, whose autobiography, Crossing the River, should be mandatory reading for anyone concerned with human emancipation.

I can happily ignore most of the stuff about the Middle East at MRZine (though not the recent piece by Arshin Adib-Moghaddam, which I thought was quite helpful), just as I ignore most of the blindly supportive crap about Israel in the Jungle World, which is still the world's best leftist newspaper.