[lbo-talk] Iran's "Liberation Theology" (???), Re-Defeat for the Left, and Islamic Economics

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Nov 29 20:08:39 PST 2006

In the case of Hezbollah, they have openly stated that they are committed to the multi-confessional nature of Lebonese society and have went as far as to say that if they were to get a majority of the vote that they would not introduce Islamic law. This has been a shift in the organization from the 80's and is one of the reasons for their increasing viability. I don't think this is a reason to run out and embrace the organization per se, but at least one should be honest in critiquing them. The question is open whether they would do the same things as Iran if they were to become majority, but they are fairly interesting at least in their negative form.

robert wood