[lbo-talk] Re: A Day When Mahdi Army Showed Its Other Side

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 30 06:23:56 PST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:51 AM, Jim Straub wrote:

> The aspect of this I notice right off the bat is how Doug et al's
> "god they're all horrible" attitude, while consistent, has the air
> of fiddling and shrugging while around the world a lot of people
> are fighting and dying in some very serious battles that eventually
> will be won or lost for better or worse.

Not exactly. I've said more times than I can count that it's good that Hezbollah kicked Israel out of Lebanon, that the resistance in Iraq is making life difficult for the occupiers, and that Iran is perfectly justified in wanting a nuclear bomb. But I follow what I think is a pretty standard Trotskyist line, honed from all my years of reading Workers Vanguard: support for resistance to imperialism shouldn't extend to prettifying the agents of that resistance - in this case, mainly a bunch of authoritarian theocrats. Yes their rise is in large part a result of the destruction of the secular left, but the cheerleading we see for the theocrats in certain circles is a sign of the exhaustion and disillusionment of the Western left. While I certainly understand the exhaustion and disillusionment, and spend a good bit of the day suffering from it, I don't feel the need to embrace the empire's latest enemies simply because they chant "Death to America."

Doug