[lbo-talk] Re: John Ford (was: Kael)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 30 11:12:22 PST 2006

> I'd say because movies are like pop music.

But that doesn't answer the question. It just enlarges it. We now have:

Why is a populist appreciation of pop music and film closer to the truth than a more robust and nuanced appreciation of pop music and film.

> Like Douglas Sirk said, nothing ages faster
than film.

Sirk, the master ironist of Hollywood, spent a great deal of time in his later years polishing his image, securing his status as a film master, and showing how great films do not age quite so fast.

Sirk on Sirk by Jon Halliday is wonderful as are the articles written by Fassbinder on Sirk and the influence he exerted on his own films. Sirk's last three films (shorts made with film students including Fassbinder, Michael Ballhaus, Hanna Schygulla and Uli Edel) are remarkable and have not aged at as far as I can tell.

Brian