[lbo-talk] Re: John Ford (was: Kael)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 30 11:56:24 PST 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> On 11/30/06, BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com > wrote:
>
> [clip]

> >BklynMagus wrote: Because they are enaging the film on a rudimentary
> level and we are engaging it on a more complex level: they are seeing
> the movies as Cary Grant vehicles. We are seeing them as Cary Grant
> vehicles as well as films by Hawks and Capra, and maybe some other
> iterations as well. If the only level they chose to work on is "Cary
> Grant vehicle" -- fine. But that does not negate the fact that there
> is a more complex way of watching those two movies.

This is what gets me on this thread. Brian is defending a view which is meaningless except on the premise of a metaphysical individualism which in other contexts Brian has attacked vigorously!

It seems that Brian is a 20th-century american first and last, and only a Buddhist by avocation and occasionally.

Carrol