[lbo-talk] Re: John Ford (was: Kael)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 30 13:03:48 PST 2006

> are you serious?

Why wouldn't I be serious? I think a more robust, nuanced understanding of most everything is preferably to a reductionist approach. There are probably people who think that the reason that they are poor is that Jews are hoarding all the money, while there are others who believe that there are complex forces at work in capitalism that demand the creation of an underclass.

I think that the latter more robust understanding is superior to the former simplistic one, but that is just my take.

> Still, he said what he said.

But that doesn't mean it is the uncontestable truth. You have read his interviews so you realize how Sirk changed positions from page to page. He both proclaimed himself an artist and then pooh-poohed such a notion.

Brian