[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Oct 1 02:16:18 PDT 2006

B. wrote:
> "Chuck0-as-list-representative-of-the-entirety-of-anarchism"
> is something I'd caution people against, as appealing
> as it might be for folks who don't like anarchism
> anyway, no matter what wisdom there is in that
> tradition.
>
> (And there is a lot, incidentally, whether some people
> like it or not).

I think many might like skimming through David Graeber's readable _Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology_, which the publisher offers free online: http://www.prickly-paradigm.com/paradigm14.pdf

Anarchism is usually presented so... archly, ironically. ;) I found it much more understandable when applied to daily life: increasing autonomy in relationships with others; having work motivated more by mutual aid rather than dominance. These are things one can practice in daily life, "within the shell of the old" ways, where the results of incremental work is quickly apparent.

(Corporate management lit actually does this -- they often talk about worldview, not just "Jack Welch said this, IBM's Black Team did that." They often touch on basic motivations which can be applied to daily life; you as a manager have natural authority over employees kind of like parents have natural authority over their children...)

So instead of the revolution-or-bust attitude, some high-profile anarchists hesitate to even use words like "revolution," because they don't want to see revolution as just some discrete event; it can also be a continuous process. [1]

In particular, I was impressed by Graeber's description of an anarchist friend [2]:

"I remember talking to a friend of mine in Belgrade, who's organizing a PGA conference in Serbia, who was visiting these various factories occupied by their workers, and he said that in several cases people just started crying because when he came and said, 'Well, we just want to listen to what you're doing and see how we can help you', nobody had ever said that to them before. Everybody else showed up and started telling them the real analysis of their situation and what they had to do."

Tayssir

[1] http://www.radio4all.net/pub/archive/04.01.05/agitkid@killradio.org/710-1-20050308-Indymedia_On_Air_What_is_Revolution_030705.mp3

[2] http://www.radio4all.net/pub/archive/04.01.05/agitkid@killradio.org/710-1-20041122-Indymedia_On_Air_112204.mp3