[lbo-talk] Paul Craig Roberts on US class war

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 10:35:16 PDT 2006

Sure. Responses after >>>>> marks.

PCR's awakening to the (white) working class is parallel to his and others' growing hysteria about fear of a non-white planet. I think we need an official disengagement with these characters (Kinky too). I wouldn't dignify this discourse with the 'class war' designation. It's really race war, with the working class as code... Max Sawicky

-----------

Could you expand on this a little. I don't understand the connection between outlining the domestic labor consequences (vanishing middle class jobs) of the neoliberal globalization of labor markets and racism.

Hmmm.) is two different things. One is export of better-paying jobs by employers in search of lower-paid workers. The other is immigration, arguably different qualitatively. The immigrant impact on wages here is a) according to a lot of evidence slight; and b) remediable (the impact, not the presence of immigrants) by enforcement of fair labor standards. In re: undocumented, the progressive pro-worker policy IMO is enforcement to reduce hiring of the undocumented, and easing paths to citizenship for the undocumented and their families. No less important, enforcement of the rest of labor law that protects workers' rights and living standards.

I don't think that is inconsistent; the basic goal is to remove lack of documents as an issue in class struggle and within the working class. With support for workers' rights and a pro-labor trade regime, broadly speaking, immigration doesn't matter.

The illegal element in immigration gives the xenophobes a handle for what they are really reacting to -- non-white America. They are not exercised about illegal Irish or Poles or Russians. They don't care if Russians in Queens speaking nothing but Russian. If immigrants were numerous, legal, and all English-speaking from British colonies in Africa, they would still be squawking.

So, following this understanding of the conditions, leads the more astute racist neoliberal hegemon to the conclusion it is better to drive outsourcing even harder to expandthe top tier into an overlord class that can rule over the vast hordes below. If a few white guys get lost, too bad. Feed them some family values shit and forget'm.

and also like the Buchananoids making enough noise, but not too much, to keep the working class befuddled.

mbs

---------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 24411 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.12.10/459 - Release Date: 9/29/2006

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: winmail.dat Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 3536 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20061001/9d08a1f7/attachment.bin>