[lbo-talk] Re: Who killed the electric car?

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Sun Oct 1 19:15:14 PDT 2006

John Thornton wrote:
> Keep in mind that these electrics do not use the next generation
> Li-Ion batteries but Ni-MH batteries. Those batteries are toxic as
> hell. The disposal of these batteries from cell phones and other
> electric gadgets is only just becoming a real problem. Put them in
> cars and have them replaced at ~50,000 miles and you have a real
> disposal issue. Not to mention the cost to consumers of replacing
> $6000-$10,000 worth of batteries by the time their car is 4 years
> old.

In our hybrid, which has just under 50,000 miles on it, the Ni-MH batteries are essentially combinations of 120 NiMH batteries about the size of D-cells set up to deliver 144 volts instead of 1.2 volts. A recycling system that would handle consumer batteries would handle these (or vice versa).

As for ~50,000 miles, I have noticed no difference in performance lately, and I would not expect one, either. The base warranty for Toyota or Honda hybrids is 80,000 miles--but in California and states that piggyback on its environmental standards, 2004 and later models have a 150,000 mile warranty.

Of course, one primary advantage of a hybrid over an EV vehicle is that even if the battery pack generates 0 volts, the car still works.

Tim Francis-Wright || <Imagine a clever .sig file here>